5 oz of shortening or lard
1 cup of bird food mixture
(Birdseed, sunflower seeds, unsalted nuts, oats, coconut flakes, raisins, cornmeal, etc)
Two cleaned and dried yogurt cups
Some ribbon or netting material (Like an onion bag)
1. Heat the shortening in a pot until it just melts. Add the bird food mixture to the liquid and stir thoroughly.
2. Fill each of the yogurt cups and insert ribbon. Just knot one end and insert the knotted end in the wet mixture.... or insert nothing and use a netting material to hold the food cake when solid.
3. Store the in the refrigerator until the shortening hardens and the mixture is solid.
4. Cut the yogurt cup away from the bird food cake.
5. Tie a ribbon to the hook and hang on a branch.
You can double your recipe and keep in the freezer for up to two months.